The Red Planet
- Equator Diameter:
- 6,792 km
- Orbit Distance:
- 227,943,824 km (1.52 AU)
- Orbit Peroid:
- 687 days (1.9 years)
- 6.42 x 10^23 kg (10.7% Earth)
- Surface Temp:
- -153 to 20°C
- First Recorded:
- 2nd millennium BC
- Mars and Earth have approximately the same landmass
- Mars is home to the tallest mountain in the solar system: Olympus Mons
- Mars has the largest dust storms in the solar system
- On Mars the Sun appears about half the size as it does on Earth
- Pieces of Mars have fallen to Earth.
Did you know?
In the next 20-40 million years Mars' largest moon Phobos will be torn apart by gravitational forces leading to the creation of a ring that could last up to 100 million years.